The Collection of Thomas W. Evans, Surgeon Dentist to Napoleon III
July 18 – November 8, 2015
Grandiose scale, sumptuous surfaces, and superb craftsmanship will be featured in this exhibition of artworks from the collection of Dr. Thomas W. Evans (1823-1897). As the American-born dentist who served the French court of Napoleon III, Dr. Evans assembled a premier collection of paintings, sculpture, and decorative arts. This exhibition offers an exclusive look at highlights from the Evans Collection for the first time in over 30 years.
While celebrating the splendors of 19th century artistry, the exhibition also tells the fascinating story of Dr. Thomas W. Evans and his life among Europe’s heads of state. Paintings by Henri Louis Dupray and Gustave Neymark illustrate political and military scenes from the Second Empire in France. Portraits and cabinet card photographs document Evans’ own family and aristocratic contacts. Engraved tankards and other decorative metals commemorate Dr. Evans’ courtly relationships. Exquisite ceramics represent the period taste for spectacular and exotic decoration. This eclectic collection of treasures promises to delight the eye and captivate the imagination.
The Evans Collection, drawn from the University Art Collection, is co-curated by the Arthur Ross Gallery and the Office of the Curator and celebrates the Centennial anniversary of the School of Dental Medicine’s Thomas W. Evans Building, the construction of which was made possible through Evans’ estate. An illustrated catalogue of scholarly essays accompanies the exhibition, with contributions by Dean Denis Kinane of the School of Dental Medicine; Lynn Marsden-Atlass, Director of the Arthur Ross Gallery and University Curator; André Dombrowski, Associate Professor, History of Art; Heather Gibson Moqtaderi, Art Collections Manager and Associate Curator; Amy Ogata, Professor of Art History, University of Southern California; and Lindsay Grant, PhD Candidate, History of Art.
Related News & Events
- Final Weekend of Courtly TreasuresNovember 06, 2015
- A Sparkling Set of Ivories: The Dentist with a Royal Art Collection · The GuardianOctober 30, 2015
- University Curator and Art Collection Staff Speak to JESIE StudentsAugust 06, 2015
- Meet Emerging Arts Leader Linda Lin · Philadelphia Cultural AllianceAugust 04, 2015
- A Collection From Napoleon III’s Dentist, Now on View at Penn · The New York TimesJuly 23, 2015
- Courtly Treasures OpensJuly 21, 2015
- Thomas W. Evans’ Famed Carriage Returns to PennJuly 21, 2015
- Penn link to Napoleon III returns from France · Philly.comJune 01, 2015
- Courtly Treasures: The Collection of Thomas W. Evans, Surgeon Dentist to Napoleon III · PhillyCulture.comApril 13, 2015